Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Love

In my last post I ended by questioning what the government was doing to help the environment. It is only fair to research and see what Obama is doing with the climate change problem. By signing an “executive order,” Obama is taking action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Now the federal government must set “targets” for reducing emissions from buildings and transportation. By setting a time limit of ninety days to set its targets, Obama is sending a message to the public. It is obvious that this problem is important to the president.

" ‘As the largest consumer of energy in the US economy, the federal government can and should lead by example when it comes to creating innovative ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions,’ Obama said in a statement.” Honestly this statement makes me believe that the government is looking at the future and recognizing an issue. Obama wants Congress to pass a bill setting “mandatory limits.” The problem is that we do not know if this solution will work. Eventually, the president would like to require major industries to also set limits.

I think a big problem with solutions is time. I am not saying that we are running out of time, but time is crucial. The longer we wait the more expensive it will be. The longer we wait the more inconvenient the solutions will be. The longer we wait…. Who knows where we will be in five or ten years. What I do know is I love Earth. I want to do something.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it is imperative that a change occur in policies concerning the environment in the government. Needless to say, I have a friend who's dad worked for the environmental protection agency that conducted a survey to see how efficient each agency was to find that the epa used more energy than any other agency. If that agency could not be efficient it seems difficult to see a change not only in the government but in policies.

    I do believe that policies are being set in motion for change but I am not as certain that true effects will occur. It requires a change in standards of not only the government but industries and businesses. Will we move towards environmental policies like England, who will solely use CFLs as soon as 2010 or car standards like California?

    What do you think that the government will do to inforce policies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to say what the government will do, but its seems to me that Obama at least cares about the problem. Making federal government facilities set targets is a step in the right direction. The government can set an example.

    Not only will there be standards with businesses, but everyone will have to make changes. That is what this problem so difficult to solve. Humans are selfish and do not always like change. We have to accept it that change is for a better cause: Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I agree with RH. It does seem that Obama believes that the enviornment issue is important. I believe that the government should take more action in helping the enviornment. They can start by issuing some restrictions on the cutting of trees for development. In my town, there seems to be construction everywhere and I believe it is taking away the vegetation of the town I knew before. Something need s to be done.

    ReplyDelete